Tomorrow, on Saturday, December 19, we will hold our final Super Science Saturday of the year! 2015 was the first year we decided that, rather than having shorter 1 hour Super Science Saturday lessons and activities each week, we would hold one SUPERSIZED Super Science Saturday event every month that would last ALL DAY!! In the past, each month would be themed and each Saturday in the month would explore a new lesson within that theme. However, because some families were not able to participate every Saturday, they were afraid they might be behind when they were able to come. Our solution was to consolidate all the lessons into one day of fun, hands-on learning. The best part? It’s only $10 for the whole day ($5 if you’re a member!)!!
So what does a typical Super Science Saturday entail? As usual, each month, we will have a specific topic that we discover together. From 10am-5pm, the day will be broken down into learning opportunities with a wide variety of material covered. In between lessons, guests will have the opportunity to eat their packed lunch or snack, take a guided tour, or play outside in Truassic Park. A detailed schedule with all activities and quest speakers will be posted on our website each month. You can decide to come anytime, pack a lunch and stay all day, or only come for the parts you want to be involved in! If you want a great inexpensive family day of learning and fun, this is definitely it!
I know what you’re all asking: what is the theme of tomorrow’s Super Science Saturday??? I’m glad you asked! Tomorrow we will explore…The Science Lessons of Christmas!! Did you know that there are many science lessons we can learn about at Christmas? So much science is going on in our fun family traditions, that there’s plenty to discover. Hands-on activities will include: The Chemistry of Christmas, Snowman Science, The Physics of Feliz Navidad, and Gift Giving Goo! With the beautiful weather we’ve been having, it’s sure to be nice enough to play in Truassic Park, as well!
Download the schedule here
Akron Fossils & Science Center will be closed for the next two weekends because of the holidays, so this is your opportunity to soak up all the science you can before the New Year! Additionally, select items in our gift shop will be 25% off this Saturday ONLY!! You can finish up your Christmas shopping while you learn; what a bargain!
In 2015, we explored the science behind crime scene investigation, fossils, the universe, bioluminescence, dinosaurs, wild weather, life under ground, fossil fuels, creatures’ creative design, the miracles of the medical world, and earthquakes, all during our Super Science Saturday events! Wow! We have had so much fun learning more about this amazing world in which we live with you. We can’t wait to continue learning and discovering with you next year!
We hope to see you tomorrow as we explore The Science Lessons of Christmas!!
Super Science Saturday Details
• When: One Saturday a Month (usually the 3rd Saturday)
• Time: 10a.m-5p.m.
• Cost: $10 for the whole day/$5 for members
• If for some reason Super Science Saturday needs to be canceled for the day, a notice will be posted on the museum’s website, Facebook page, and at the front desk.
• Some of our spring and summer Super Science Saturdays may take place outdoors, so please dress accordingly.
• Activities are for all ages, however, younger children must be supervised at all times.
• Because Super Science Saturdays are considered Special Events, they are not included in the Winter Discount Pricing.
• Groups are able to participate in Super Science Saturdays, however, a group leader must call or email Kids@akronfossils.com to give an RSVP, so that we are prepared for the extra participants.
• Science can be messy and some of our activities may be messy too, so please dress accordingly.
• Our Super Science Saturdays teach science from a Biblical perspective